The World Osteoporosis Day is marked and celebrated each year on the 20th day of October. In accordance with the tradition of taking a special theme each year, this year’s theme is “Love Your Bones, Protect Your Future”.
All You Need to Know About the World Osteoporosis Day 2017
It is not only a one-day celebration, on this day a year-long campaign is proposed to encourage the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis, along with other metabolic bone related issues. Organised by the International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF), this celebration particularly intends to put the issue of osteoporosis and bone health protection at global level.
It also allows the issue of osteoporosis and other bone health related issues to reach out to the public through the media and make it more successful with the help of health-care professionals and the policy makers.
How is this day celebrated?
Various programs and events are organised on this day to encourage people to love their bones as to protect their future. On the other hand, these events inspire health authorities and physicians to take action about protection and prevention process of osteoporosis.
Bone related problems can occur to anybody, besides all the treatment and diagnosis process, this issue is neglected in many countries, so it is important to let people know how to protect their bone health from an early age.
It’s important to maintain a good life style, in order to save your life from the hazard of any bone related problem. We all should know about the role of calcium and vitamin-D to keep our bones strong, healthy and cavity free, also there are several types of exercise to protect the bone health and it is important to keep all these in mind to maintain the bone health.
World Osteoporosis Day 2017: Top Objectives
Osteoporosis often sets in around the middle age, and if proper care is not taken, could lead to major problems, potentially even crippling the individual.
The World Osteoporosis Day 2017 aims to spread awareness about the disease, so that This year’s objectives of the World Osteoporosis 2017 will be the following.
- Increase know how on the relationship between osteoporosis and fracture. Owing to a lack of awareness of this relation, a lot of disability related problems affect adults – some of these problems can also be fatal.
- Make individuals more aware of risk factors – fracture needs a proper testing and treatment plan – otherwise they might lead to major disability later on or deformities.
- Encourage better nutrition plans for promoting bone health. Calcium is important for bone health but at the same time if consumed in higher doses might lead to complications like piles.
- List out exercises for children who are still developing bones
- Promote preventative methodologies and ensure that the gap between healthcare professionals, health authorities and patients in addressing issues like under diagnosis/treatment is reduced.
- Ensure identification and systematic treatment of patients
How to celebrate it?
Looking to take your part in the World Osteoporosis Day 2017 celebrations?
To celebrate this day and make a change by allowing osteoporosis the limelight it needs to have, please participate online by digging out more resources on the same. Please rely on correct medical resources before you share it on your social media.
A simple hashtag #WorldOsteoporosisDay or #WOD before every informative material or blog you share online will let you create a powerful resource for your friends, relatives and the world to learn more about osteoporosis. So on 20th of this October, join us to help make people aware of osteoporosis and its seriousness.