Commemorated every year on the last Sunday of January, World Leprosy Day spreads awareness about one of the deadliest diseases in this world. It was first observed in 1954 by Raul Follereau, a well-known French humanitarian and author, who wholeheartedly devoted himself to eradicate this ghastly ancient ailment from the face of the earth.
People suffering from leprosy have been regarded as outcasts for thousands of years. The objective of World Leprosy Day is to bring about a change in the mind-set of people to make them aware that leprosy is both preventable and curable.
Although leprosy is believed by many to be extinct, yet around 210000 fresh cases every year indicate the alarming situation the world is facing right now. The cited number is an official one, the real figure can be bigger and alarming.
The World Leprosy Day 2018 – Zero Disabilities in Girls and Boys:
Here is a look at how you can too play a role when it comes to spreading awareness about leprosy.
- The year 2018 is about to begin and there is an urgent need to strike at the very roots of leprosy, a monstrous bane. It is high time to take pledge that the evil of leprosy won’t be allowed to rise again, and before it raises its gruesome head, it will be completely eliminated.
- It is still mistaken for a hereditary disease, where it is a bacterial disease affecting the skin and nerves of the patient. It spreads through cough or contact with the fluids from an infected person’s nose. There is an urgent need to educate people about the real cause of the disease. Misbeliefs have alienated an endless number of leprosy patients from the mainstream society.
- People should come forward to observe the World Leprosy Day 2018 to show their commitment and unity towards the eradication of this disease. Doctors, medical professionals, social workers and common people must do their bit for the upliftment and welfare of leprosy affected people.
- Organizations, Associations, Clubs and Bodies should be formed for the better execution of policies formulated for fighting against this age-old potent foe of mankind.
- Social media can play a vital role in tackling this baneful disease. Facebook, whatsapp, twitter, etc. can be maneuvered for spreading awareness about its prevention and cure. Doubts and misgivings regarding leprosy can be removed by the positive use of social media.
- As leprosy is still considered a stigma, people afflicted with it shy away from receiving treatment. It is a long-forgotten but still prevalent ailment that is indeed not a matter of embarrassment. There is an utter need to win the confidence of its patients. Why not do it right now with the advent of 2018?
Here are some of the reasons one suffers from the disease.
- A bacterial disease affecting the nervous system of a human being, leprosy is one of the oldest ailments in the world.
- An infectious disease, it spreads through cough and fluids of nose after coming in contact with the diseased person. Mycobacterium leprae or lepromatosis is the bacteria responsible for this disease.
Measures for Prevention:
- Realization needs to be spread amongst one and all that timely treatment can cure this ailment and people afflicted with it are to be treated sympathetically.
- Governments, non-governmental bodies, NGO’s must work towards the eradication of this chronic pestilence.
- Stringent laws need to be framed so that there is no discrimination against the so-called ‘lepers’
- Free medicines should be distributed so that this age-old ailment can be uprooted once and for all.
Celebrating World Leprosy Day 2018
It is high time to work towards a world where people understand that leprosy is curable and leprosy afflicted people should not be thrown into a life of social isolation. They are human beings and deserve to be treated with respect, not with disgust and hatred. Hansen’s disease is not a matter of fear and shame for those suffering from it. There is an utter need to spread realization about its causes and prevention.