Yogurt is a food product obtained from bacteria fermentation of milk. The most common milk used in the production of yogurt is cow milk since cow milk is available worldwide.
Benefits of Yogurt
There are many reasons why you should eat yogurt, some of these reasons are;
- Yogurt contains some key nutrients which help to promote bone health.
- Yogurt contains living bacteria known as probiotics, which helps to keep the intestines healthy.
- It is a high source of protein.
- It is a good source of vitamin D, calcium and magnesium and other minerals.
Homemade yogurt is one of the easiest food you can make in your kitchen when you have the right ingredients.
Coconut Milk Yogurt
Coconut milk yogurt can be a bit more difficult to make because it is more of a drink. It is usually very thin, this means that it is not very thick. The basic things that give your coconut milk yogurt a unique taste, is the quality of the coconut milk and the yogurt starter used. But ensure to pick a coconut milk product that has no additives.
Below is a list of the primary ingredients needed to make a quality coconut milk yogurt.
- Half litre of additive free coconut milk.
- Half cup of yogurt starter culture.
- Two teaspoons of raw sugar or maple syrup.
- Two teaspoons of gelatin which will act as a thickener. This may be optional.
Procedure For Making Coconut Milk Yogurt With Thickener
When adding thickener to your coconut milk flavoured yogurt, follow the directives below;
- Dissolve the required amount of gelatin with one cup of coconut milk and set aside.
- Heat the remaining coconut milk over low heat until it is hot but not boiling.
- Remove the heated coconut milk from heat and add the gelatin mixture that was set aside to the hot coconut milk.
- Add yogurt starter to the mixture add sugar or maple syrup then mix properly and let it cool.
- Pour the mixture into clean jars (you can also use sterilizes glass jars).
- Cover the jars tightly and wrap with towel to hold heat and place in an oven with low heat for about 8-12 hours or place it in a cooler filled with hot water for about 12-24 hours.
- Place in the refrigerator.
Procedure For Making Coconut Milk Yogurt Without Using A Thickener
To prepare coconut milk yogurt without using a thickener, follow the steps below;
- Heat the required amount of coconut milk over low heat until it is hot but not boiling.
- Turn off heat and add sugar or maple syrup.
- Add yogurt starter to the hot coconut milk and mix very well.
- Pour the mixture into clean jars make sure you use lid cover jars.
- Wrap the jar with a towel and place jar upside down and place in an oven for 12 hours.
- Remove from oven and leave in room temperature without disturbing then put in a refrigerator for at least 6 hours. This will help thicken yogurt.
To prepare a vanilla flavoured yogurt, you need four major ingredients. The ingredients are listed below;
- 2 litres of plain milk.
- 1/2 cup of yogurt starter.
- 1/2 cup of sugar or honey.
- 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract.
To make your own homemade vanilla yogurt from the ingredients mentioned above, follow the steps below carefully.
- Pour two litres of milk in a pot and heat until it is starting to boil then turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Take a quarter cup of milk into a bowl and add yogurt starter.
- Add vanilla extract to sugar and whisk or mix properly and pour into the yogurt starter.
- Pour the yogurt starter into the milk and mix properly then turn on heat for about 30mins.
- Allow to cool and pour into jars then place in a refrigerator.
If you face any issue do let us know in the comment box below.