Now many people get scared by the sight of blood in stool. It surely does sound alarming. However a conclusion can only be reached after properly evaluating the symptoms and the causes of the blood in the stool. If you experience such a symptom, then the best approach is to get in touch with the doctor on an immediate basis. The doctor commences with the treatment after the identification of the causes.
Discovering the causes of blood in stool
- Gastroenteritis: There are times when you are simply affected by a bacterial or viral infection of the stomach. This condition is termed as Gastroenteritis. This is why you might see blood and mucus in the stool. Gastroenteritis may be caused by food poisoning as well.
- Piles: Well, Piles is a disease of the rectal area and it indicates swollen blood vessels. Bleeding happens because of these swollen blood vessels especially in the case when you experience a hard stool.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s disease fall in the category of the Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Moreover, seeing blood in the stool is one of the key symptoms of these medical conditions and this causes the inflammation of the bowel lining as well.
- Anal Fistula: Well, Anal Fistula can be termed as a channel that is formed between the anus and the anal canal. The Anal Fistula is quite painful and usually needs a surgical procedure for removal.
- Diverticula: This disease causes small bulges in the bowel’s lower lining. The bleeding happens because of the rupture of the blood vessels in this condition. However, this bleeding is usually painless.
- Anal Fissure: A small tear develops in the anal area and it is referred to as an anal fissure. The most common cause of Anal Fissure is chronic constipation. Bleeding caused by Anal Fissure results in bright red colour blood.
- Bowel Polyps: There are times when small growth appears on the colon lining. They may also cause bleeding on stool passing.
- Bowel Cancer: There is also a possibility that blood in stool may be due to bowel cancer. The success of the treatment typically depends upon the stage of the cancer. Early detection can result in 100% cure and longer survival rate of the patient. People who opt for bowel cancer screening on a regular basis can get the disease treated at an early stage.
- Peptic ulcers: If sores are present in the upper portion of the small intestine, then you may experience bleeding with stool. The ulcer is usually caused due to a bacterial infection known as Helicobacter pylori.
There are certain things that you need to have a clear concept about before you seek treatment. If the colour of the blood is dark, then this means that bleeding has happened from the upper GI tract. If the blood is of a bright red colour, then it means that bleeding has occurred from the lower GI Tract. If you witness bleeding with stool do not ignore this condition and seek assistance from your physician right away because ignorance can aggravate the problem for you.
When you will visit the physician he will acquire the detailed history from you. Well, you are likely to be asked about the triggers that may contribute to the bleeding. For example, in certain individuals the bleeding gets worsened or triggered of by drinking certain drinks or eating specific food items. Moreover, the doctor may ask you if you experienced any pain along with the bleeding. There are times when you may experience itching around the bottom area. If you have experienced weight loss along with bleeding in stool, then this is a matter of concern that needs to be dealt with on an immediate basis.
The tests that are usually advised in such a scenario are colonoscopy and Sigmoidoscopy. Nowadays Virtual Colonoscopy has also become quite a popular trend. It allows the doctor to check your colon without the need to insert any kind of tube inside the colon. Once the disease has been identified after the tests, then the doctor will commence with the treatment. Remember do not be led by assumption when you experience bleeding in stool, medical help is your best solution.