When you drink to much alcohol your body reacts and the result is a hangover.
Symptoms of hangover include nausea, dizziness, sensitivity to light, fatigue, dehydration, and headache that may last for several hours. There are very limited studies on hangover and the process behind it is yet to be fully understood.
It is assumed that the human body goes through certain immune and hormonal responses during a hangover and that is what triggers various kinds of symptoms.
While no exact cure has been discovered for hangovers, there are certain foods, drinks and fruits that you may find useful to alleviate the symptoms.
In this article, I will be exposing you to different drinks, foods and fruits that will help you get past the symptoms of hangover that may mess up your day.
1. Coconut water: hydration is a very important part of recovery when it comes to hangover and coconut water will work wonders in helping you overcome a hangover. Coconut water packs a lot of electrolytes including potassium and magnesium which your body would be needing to recover from a hangover.
2. Banana: You probably already know that alcohol causes you to be dehydrated. And that’s because it blocks the production of certain hormones that are meant to help your body hold on to water. Your body not only gets dehydrated, it also suffers the loss of electrolytes like sodium and potassium. bananas have high potassium content which will help your body to regain what it has lost 1 medium sized banana contains 12% of your daily potassium requirement.
3. Eggs: Cysteine is a very important amino acid that your body uses for the production of the antioxidant called glutathione. Eggs are rich in Cysteine.
Alcohol drains your body’s glutathione store and without glutathione your body your body would find it difficult to break down the toxic by-products the comes from alcohol metabolism.
Eating eggs after drinking alcohol is a great way to increase your body’s glutathione level and tackle the symptoms of a hangover. You can eat your eggs the way you prefer, but it is best to eat hard boiled eggs after drinking alcohol.
4. Watermelon: One of the most popular symptom of hangover is headaches. Headache associated with hangover is usually as a result of dehydration and decreased flow of blood to the brain.
Eating watermelon will not only help you stay hydrated with its high water content but also help to boost the flow of blood in your brain. Watermelon contains L-citrulline in abundance which will help with blood flow.
5. Pickles: Have high sodium content. sodium is an electrolyte that gets depleted when you engage in excessive drinking. when having a hangover if you eat pickles or you drink their brine, it should help you get over the symptoms by boosting your sodium level.
A single dill pickle spear packs about 13% of your daily sodium requirement. More interesting to note is that drinking 2.5 ounces (75 ml) of pickle juice provides you with 20% of your daily requirement.
However, the content of sodium in pickles sometimes vary according to brands.
6. Honey: Honey is one of the most useful foods on the planet. From being a wonderful beauty product ingredient to being a power-packed energy booster, honey has played numerous roles in helping people stay healthy. because of honeys high fructose content it may help to relieve the symptoms of hangover. Although there is less evidence to show how effective fructose can be from the few studies available it is suspected that those can help your body eliminate alcohol faster.
One study shows how honey help it’s 50 participants eliminate the alcohol content in their body by up to 32.4%. however in another study while it was still evident that honey helped eliminate the alcohol content in a person’s body faster there was no evidence that practice could help eliminate or reduce the severity of hangover symptoms.
However this does not mean that you should rule out the option of eating honey and other foods that are rich in fructose whenever you have symptoms of a hangover. They might actually be very helpful to you.
7. Crackers: Do not just conclude that crackers are only good to snack on when you are bored, they are actually wonderful when it comes to helping you with hangover symptoms. the carbs that are contained in crackers are very fast acting and they can help to increase your blood sugar when you’re having a hangover which will also help to alleviate symptoms.
when your liver is engaged in processing alcohol it no longer focuses on regulating your blood sugar level this explains why a person can experience low blood sugar level as a result of excessive drinking. eating carbs will help to increase your blood sugar.
8. Nuts: why go nuts from a hangover when you can actually take it by the nuts? that was intentional and I’m certain you got the point.
Nuts have a very high magnesium content which could just make them the miracle you’ve been praying for to tackle your hangover. drinking too much alcohol will cause the magnesium in your body to deplete first when you eat nuts it could help to replenish the loss and treat some of your hangover symptoms. You have a variety of nuts to choose from. There is cashew nuts, almond nuts, peanuts etc. It all depends on what you’re comfortable with.
9. Chicken noodle soup: a lot of people no chicken noodle soup to be a tasty and good remedy for treating common cold and flu. but that’s not all it can do it can also be a nice treating hangover. Chicken noodle soup is good at helping youth rehydrate because it contains a reasonable amount of sodium.
10. Spinach: folate is another nutrients that may be diminished when you engage in heavy drinking and spinach has that nutrients in abundance. Drinking alcohol will prevent the absorption of folate and excessive drinking could lead to a deficiency.
Eating spinach after drinking alcohol could help you to maintain a healthy folate level. Eat at least one gram of cooked spinach to help relieve some of your hangover symptoms.
11. Water: drinking water is the best thing you can do for yourself when you’re dealing with a hangover. First of all alcohol makes you urinate because it is a diuretic. Which means your body would lose a lot of water. Drinking water not only helps you replace the fluid you’re losing, it also helps you stay hydrated.