The drive to win is high among athletes because of several reasons. At the school and college level it can be used to secure a place in a professional team. At the international level it can be used to win a medal for their country. It can also be used to accomplish their personal goals. Misguided athletes use steroids to enhance their performance.
Taking steroids or doping, as it is commonly referred to, has become very common with professional athletes. It is because of its benefits like faster results, improved muscle gain, enhanced performance, and reduction of body fat. Most people are overexcited about the benefits that they forget about the health risks and legal risks.
What are the side effects of doping?
- Risk of coronary heart disease
- Risk of stroke
- Increase in blood pressure
- Risk of tumor in liver and liver failure
- Increased risk of muscle strains
- Altered sex drive, painful erections, prostate enlargement, sterility and shrinkage of testicles in men
- Increased risk of cervical cancer, growth of body hair, deepening of voice, irregular menstrual periods, facial hair development, and increased risk of osteoporosis in women.
- Psychological effects like depression, mood swings, addiction and aggressiveness
- Increased risk of HIV infection
Steroids are manufactured specifically for the use of athletes. They are not approved for medical use by the FDA. The usage of steroids has been banned by the sports authorities. It is illegal to take steroids for performance enhancement. In spite of the health risks and ban, baseball players, tennis players, Olympics participants, football players and other sports people take steroids to gain a competitive edge.
The list of famous athletes and sports persons who have used steroids is long. It includes
- Diego Maradona – The argentine footballer
- Lance Armstrong – Cyclist who has won several times in Tour De France
- Marion Jones – Athlete to receive five medals in 2000 Olympics
- Hulk Hogan – The famous wrestler
- Alex Rodriguez – The Major League Baseball player
- Andy Roddick – The popular tennis player
When an athlete gets caught for doping, he faces a life time ban. It is a big black mark in their life. Why should you take steroids and face the risk of side effects and risk of ban when you can improve your performance safely with the help of natural supplements? Natural supplements like D-Bal, Decaduro, Winsol and Testo-Max etc. are safe alternatives to dangerous steroids.