5 Signs of Serious Mold Issues That Can Cause Health Scares

0
- Advertisement -

Plumbing issues can lead to a serious issue: mold. Mold is an interesting health topic because it can lead to negative health effects, or in some cases, it may not cause any issues at all. Some people are also more sensitive to mold, so these individuals will suffer from negative health impacts before others.

The CDC claims that mold poses a risk of:

  • Upper respiratory problems
  • Wheezing
  • Coughing
  • Respiratory illness (especially in children)
  • Intense asthma impact

Homeowners can overlook signs of mold because they don’t know what to look for. A few signs that mold may be in your home include:

1. Visible Mold Growth

Visible mold growth is a sure indicator of mold. The color of mold can be:

  • Black
  • Green

Outdoor mold may be orange or other colors, but most indoor mold will be black, green or speckled with both colors. Visible mold may be able to be cleaned with bleach in some cases, or you’ll need to follow a professional mold remediation routine.

Severe mold infestations, often found in abandoned homes or in the most extreme circumstances, can cause a home to be deemed unlivable. Mold may have to be cut out of the home in some cases, or it might be able to be removed using cleaners.
But one thing is for sure: You want to stop the mold from spreading.

2. Water Damage Spots and Signs

Water creates mold. If you see water damage signs, there’s a good chance that mold will begin to grow if it hasn’t already. The idea is to repair the cause of the water damage before the problem progresses to mold.
A few tell-tale signs of water damage include:

  • Brown spots
  • Yellow spots
  • Bowing ceilings
  • Damaged walls

Water damage can occur from a leaky roof, or it can be a result of an indoor plumbing problem. If you notice water damage on the ceiling where a bathroom is located above, you may need to have trenchless sewer repair work done. Sewage drain pipes can break and cause water damage behind walls or on ceilings.
Water marks will often be brownish, red in color.

3. Strange Odors

Mold and standing water have a way of causing a strange odor to fill the home. It’s hard to describe how mold smells, but it’s a damp smell that is a little on the musty side. Smelling dampness or must should be an indicator that it’s time to call a plumber.
You’ll want to make sure that the smell isn’t mold – it very well may be.

Drain inspections and pipe inspections are the two key routines that can be performed to determine the source of your strange odor. Hopefully, the odor is just a small mold problem or an issue that can be fixed quickly.

Some homeowners will have mice or rats die in their walls, leading to a very stinky, unpleasant problem.

4. Health Issues

Mold can impact sensitive people, and if it does, the first signs of mold may include:

  • Rashes
  • Wheezing
  • Coughing
  • Red eyes
  • Eye irritation
  • Running nose
  • Watery eyes

These symptoms can also be an indicator that all you have is allergies. It’s best to have your home checked for any water leaks or plumbing issues in either case if the symptoms persist. Oftentimes, these symptoms will worsen over time and will only be treated properly when the mold is eradicated.

If you have children that are more sensitive to mold, they may also suffer from potential respiratory infections and issues.

When in doubt, call in a professional and put your mind at ease with a proper mold inspection. You may prevent a small issue from becoming a big problem that costs tens of thousands of dollars to remedy.

5. Interior Flooding

Interior flooding is always a major problem for homeowners. Not only can flooding lead to rot, but it can also lead to mold. If you have flooding, it’s often a sign that your home has a serious plumbing issue.

Basements are notorious for flooding.

Any signs of flooding, or even a pooling of water, demands a professional to come out to your home to perform an adequate assessment of the problem. You may save yourself a significant amount of money by taking early precautions to remedy the problem.

This article is for educative purposes only and not to be substituted for professional medical advice.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here